Friday, August 30, 2013

Granular Web

Funny thing, thinking in terms of a granular web, but it's true, the web is granular.  The web is no different than all the non-virtual cities, each having it's own unique neighborhoods with their individual flavors.  At least that's how this spider perceives it.

I believe it has a lot to do with the old human saying, "Birds of a Feather..." as expressed by links from one web site to others perceived as being important or relevant and of course the extreme expression of that are the directory sights.

A recent outing might serve as a good example.  I was scuttling along the web in NW Ohio visiting mostly Chamber of Commerce sites when  I ran into a huge group of gay bar sites and after a few hundred sites, I scuttled into another, different, neighborhood.

It's hard not to think about web sites being co-located because that is the natural order of the world, but of course, I mostly have no idea of the relationship of any given website to its real world location.  This is due in a large part to a lack of position data in the html code, which is getting better by way of the Geo Tag.

Part of my recent tune up was to allow me to track location by using the meta geo tags and also the tags popularity in the real world web. I don't even want to get into the geo location debate, but if you're interested, I found this site that generates the requisite tags. http://www.geo-tag.de/generator/en.html

This is not a recommendation, just the first site I found that did the job.  The site generated the following tags for my location:
 
<meta name="geo.region" content="US-FL" />
<meta name="geo.placename" content="Naples" />
<meta name="geo.position" content="26.27562;-81.770596" />
<meta name="ICBM" content="26.27562, -81.770596" />
 

No comments:

Post a Comment